“This next president is going to inherit the most sophisticated and persistent cyber espionage cultures the world has ever seen, He needs to surround himself with experts that can expedite the allocation of potent layers of next generation defences around our targeted critical infrastructure silos.”
The above quote from James Scott is almost getting true not yet for the president but not less than that also; we are constantly getting the news of accounts being hacked of some prominent social giants like Mark Zuckerberg.
We have to agree on this established fact that, in a fast moving digital or web world, we are constantly looking for cyber security and it is getting more priority in nowadays due to increased hacking incidents.
But do we really know why most of these hacking occurs?
One of the prominent reasons for the same is lack of knowledge about the hacking types.
In current and upcoming articles, we will be trying to bring latest aspects of hacking, which are making a great buzz in the digital world and some basic ways to avoid them. Today’s topic is about a new phenomena of hacking- Spear Phishing.
“Spear phishing is basically an email which appears to be from an individual or business entity of your interest. But actually it’s not the same.”
It is shooted from some unreliable source to hack your vital information like credit card information, bank details up to the data of major projects in an organisation.
How does it trap?
User Upload information on Smart Phones or PCS
• Spear Phisher scans with variations about the pages you visit of your interest
• Appears in the form of your friend
• Asks for password for sharing photo page
• In case user provide the same
• Try the variations on shopping sites for bank details like card numbers]
• In case password matches
• Results in financial loss
Recently an email with the name of the Seventh Pay Commision was shot by the Spear Phisher to pose an impression that it has arrived from respective authority and was clicked the government employees and some serious data was leaked.
A new report says that the Chinese military is secretly obtaining sensitive data from U.S. companies using this hacking technique.
- Keep Your Secrets Secret: Keep a regular vigil on your post and do not reveal too much on any page.
- Passwords That Work: Needless to say that you need to have a strong password with good combinations.
- Patches, Updates, and Security Software: It’s time to update your application and operating system.
- Be Smart: Do not share your passwords until you cross check the individual via call or separate email and legitimate authorities do not ask for bank details and passwords.
These are some preliminary precautions which are on the basic level and can be implemented by us as well, provided that we are just a bit aware of the cyber happenings. But the advanced version of protection for businesses and organisation can only be executed with the help of expert consultancies.
At present, website security are available in different forms and features, in multiple cities across the globe with various new solution providers still venturing into it. But all service providers are not there to mint money and some are actually trying help their clients to widespread their work and identity.
SwiftLogic is one such organisation that aligns itself with the current need of online security to the businesses whom whole existence can be challenged due to cyber breach. The only difference being, their stance is more on the lines of ‘Moving India’ from within and towards a brighter future.